Church of St. Peter Radeče

Church dedicated to the Apostle Peter, in the very heart of Starograjska Street.

  • the history of the parish dates back to the 14th century
  • parish church since 1618
  • Franz Jenko's church organ from 1938
  • special feature - st. Peter depicted as pope, seated on the throne with a "tiara" 

The history of the parish dates back to the 14th century

The history of the parish of st. Peter in Radeče dates back to the 14th century. As early as 1385, Radeče had its own vicariate and a permanent priest. The original church stood in the area of today's church, about four meters lower in the very heart of the Starograjska street. It was wooden and is said to have been built in the late Romanesque period. 

The church became a parish church in 1618, at which time it was also renewed. Of the stone Gothic church with a wooden bell tower, only the presbytery, now the winter chapel dedicated to Mary Immaculate, is preserved. 

St. Peter's church

The church was consecrated on October 29, 1911 by the Bishop of Ljubljana Anton Bonaventura Jeglič. It is dedicated to the Apostle Peter like all previous churches in this place.

Today's church consists of a rectangular nave with an added chapel on the east side, a former presbytery, and an equally high but narrower presbytery with a bell tower on the west side and a sacristy on the east side.

The neo-baroque facade is richly structured. The interior is three-aisled, with a transept. The whole church is vaulted, illuminated by 15 stained glass windows. The chapel is adorned with a Gothic star-ribbed vault

The choir area is occupied by a mighty church organ from 1938, the work of Franc Jenko. A special feature of the church is the main altar with St. Peter, as he is depicted as the pope sitting on the throne, with a papal tiara on his head. The last such crown was worn by Pope Paul VI. 


Parish office Radeče | St. Peter Radeče

Starograjska ulica 18
1433 Radeče

051 232 778 (Mr. Miro Bergelj, parish priest)
03 56 87 941 (KTRC Radeče)


A tour is possible upon prior arrangement with KTRC Radeče or Mr. Miro Bergelj, the parish priest. 


Similar products